Within European green worker co-operatives today it has proven difficult to involve young people, to get them to take over after their parents and to engage in the co-operative movement. The awareness of what the co-operative idea stands for is weak. Young people do not immediately see the opportunities and connections between green worker co-operatives and the needs of environmental, social and economic sustainability.
The urban areas’ wide range of work opportunities, higher education and entertainment instead is what attracts younger people. But there doesn’t have to be a contradiction between urban development and healthy, sustainable food production. Both are needed.
Lead Farm is an Erasmus+ project that aims to strengthen the co-operative idea through education and communication in order to reach more young people, especially women, and to encourage them to get involved. This will be achieved by:
- Development of an educational program for young farmers within the co-operatives focused on the strengths and possibilities of co-operatives.
- Increase the knowledge and awareness of the co-operative values and ideas.
- Strengthen the knowledge and skills within different business areas.
- Increase the gender balance within the co-operative management boards and in other important business areas.
Changemaker is a partner in the project and will contribute with digital resources such as games and pedagogy.
Newsletters for download:
- Lead Farm Newsletter #1 – April 2018
- Lead Farm Newsletter #2 – November 2018
- Lead Farm Newsletter #3 – July 2019
Read more at the website: www.leadfarm.eu